Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dali found at Second Hand

Brattleboro, VT

     I had walked through the streets of the artsy Brattleboro looking for second hand stores. Someone can always find goodies within the Salvation Armies and Goodwills of art towns. I ran across the street blindly when I found TWICE UPON A TIME shoppe. I opened the door and got slammed in the face with the most spectacular surprise. For about five minutes I stared at this blend of colors on the wall. It looked very familiar. Where have I seen it before? I know that I have seen it?




     My companion said to me, "It looks so Dali." In fact it turned out to be DALI. I felt like a sludge, because my friend would not let go of the fact that she spotted it first. The Wailing Wall was hung up in an old golden rusted frame. The frame was used, and you could tell that whoever put it in the frame merely just found one and inserted it in and hung it up. How convenient that the SIGNED print was overlooking the cash registrar. Lying there as if it did not know of its importance. Supposedly the workers have been trying to sell this piece, but no fish will bite. The price has gone down due to the recession a significant amount, but still nothing. The boy at the counter if he does sell it will make a commission, like all art dealers do. What will he do with the money? "Buy a prohibition gangster suit."

Click Here to see a picture of the Wailing Wall. 


   Though I never got the full story on how the print was actually acquired, it was a spectacular gem to find.


Taken from Twice Upon a Time's web description-
"It is marked EA which is a limited edition artist proof. It is an original Lithograph and not a repro or copy with artist hand signed in the margin.
This lithograph was included in the portfolio of 25 prints titled, Aliyah, published in 1968 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Israel. The image is after a mixed media painting by Dali."


   Putting the Dali aside the stores abundance of items will make you feel like you have ADD, just because there is so much and you want to touch it ALL.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much! We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed our little shop and we hope you come back soon. If you want to know more about how the Dali print was acquired than I can get back to you on that. Just let me know:) See you soon!
    nicole
    (co-owner of Twice Upon A Time)

    ReplyDelete